Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Handspun Capucine Hat FO

From dye pot to finished garment ... here's my handspun Capucine hat FO write-up.

I started off with 200g of undyed BFL fiber which I dyed with green(ish) & pink Kool-Aid. It looked so gorgeous straight out of the dye pot ...


When dry, the colours became much less vibrant, and I was worried that I might have felted the fiber slightly.

But after some pre-drafting, I began to spin it up (during the Tour de Fleece in July this year).


With the Capucine pattern in mind, I spun it in bulky/superbulky weight. As my first batch of handspun of the TdF it was a little uneven and over-spun in places, but I was still more than happy with the result.


Then, on my trip to Cornwall last week, I cast on during the four hour drive to the caravan park.


I do so love a bulky knit, as it seems to grow before your eyes.


I finished the main bulk of the hat quite early into the holiday, but forgot to pack my DPNs so had an agonising wait to finish it off.

A few days later, on the evening of returning home, I completed the last few decrease rows and closed the peak of the hat up, added braids, sewed the ends in and tried the hat on immediately.



I think you can see from the photo how pleased I am with the hat, which fits perfectly and is remarkably warm.


I just adore making the whole item from start to finish and can't quite explain how satisfying it is. It's just a wonderful feeling.

***********

Taking part in Sarah from Crafts from the Cwtch's SPINNING SHOW & TELL meme today. Please go along and take a look at her gorgeous blog.

2 comments:

  1. I am so in love with this hat and it looks wonderful on you!! Such beautiful dyeing and spinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you chose a nice colour scheme :)
    thanks for sharing the phases of the project, it's interesting to see how the wool turns into a FO, through the different stages. Perfect pattern choice as well!

    ReplyDelete