Thursday, 27 September 2012

Turn of the Seasons ... A Crochet Beanie Hat FO

I do like the turn of the seasons; Those crisp autumn mornings, pulling cardigans and woolly jumpers out of the recesses of your wardrobe, drinking hot comforting drinks, the nights starting to set in earlier ...

Autumn always inspires me to start making a new batch of warm clothes and accessories to keep myself and my family warm.

Looking through my stash, I found some leftover Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk Aran wool, which is undoubtedly one of my all-time favourites. I quickly logged onto Ravelry and scoured the patterns for a suitable toddler hat for my little one. Having an especially large head for his age group, all the hats we have are on the small side already, and will definitely be so in a few months time when winter is really in full force.

I found the Candy Corn Beanie hat pattern by Simply Sweet on Ravelry and fell in love with the little pixie style point on the top. Looking at the pattern, it looked wholly achievable too. So it was decided.

I never crochet or knit a swatch for measuring gauge, and maybe I should start to do so, but anyway off I went in gung-ho fashion with my 6mm bamboo crochet hook.

It only took two evenings to complete, but my son was fast asleep in bed when I finished it, so I had to wait until the morning for a try on. I did have a hunch that it would be on the large side ...


... And it was!!! ... It even fit my other half! LOL


Amid much hilarity, I asked him whether he liked the hat and whether he wanted it for himself, to which the answer was 'No'! He said he wasn't keen on the pixie point, which I totally understood, as this was the reason I decided to crochet the pattern for my 18 month old son in the first place, as it looks rather cute.

So ... start again.

This time I used a 4.5mm hook (just by guessing).


So far so good ... it certainly looked like it had scaled down in size.

Whizzing through the construction of it second time around, and am pleased to announce that my little one will now have a cosy head this Autumn :)



No comments:

Post a Comment